1. La La Land: This movie spoke to my soul in a way no other film has. It's beautiful blend of music, visuals, writing and performances make it a fun and engaging watch. As someone who wants to get into filmmaking, seeing Seb and Mia's having to choose between two loves made my heart ache and it resonated with me so much.
2. HTTYD trilogy: yes, yes, YES! These goddamn movies are fun, exciting and full of heart with strong messages in each film. All of them present things that children should learn and adults can appreciate. It is mature and treats its viewers with respect. The story of an unlikely friendship is one that will stand the test of time. Strong performances, insanely good animation and honestly Oscar-worthy score.
3. Kung Fu Panda trilogy: kill me now, but hell yes these movies ended up being so much more than they were ever supposed to be. Hilarious, exhilarating and most importantly, poignant, watching Po grow between 3 films was so satisfying. This is the same deal as the HTTYD trilogy for me because it also has a great message that in my opinion is important for kids, especially orphan kids with adopted parents. Also, the art direction is phenomenal along with the score and voice acting.
4. Into the Spider-Verse: what can I say about this movie? Imo, this is the best Spider-Man movie put to screen and it brings a very interesting and fresh take on the hero when it comes to the big screen. It emphasizes the one thing that makes Spider-Man so relatable, it's that anyone can be Spider-Man. All you need is a good heart and some courage. It is touching with extremely well-written characters with animation that is just a treat for the eyes. Also, the movie is hilarious!
5. Man Of Steel and BvS Ultimate Edition: yep, this one's a twofer. Man of Steel made me fall in love with Superman and BvS put two of my favourite characters of all time in a place no one ever wants to see them in. A batman who is broken and a superman who has lost hope. Both movies are very strong character studies of these two very human superhumans. I found these movies emotional, interesting and thrilling. I cared for Kal-El like never before and made me realize that even batman can fall. But in the end, they both rise up above their failings because nothing can stop them from being the heroes they are. I know these movies get a lot of hate, and I honestly see why. But to me, these movies are powerful and mean a lot to me. It shows me that hope will always exist, no matter how dark things may be.
6. Ouija Origin of Evil: this is the only horror movie that I've rewatched over and over again. Mike Flanagan is a master of horror and this movie is one I am always learning from. The movie uses tension like a knife in my gut and it works like a charm. The scary things are almost always in the background and not obvious so when I spot it, the chills just run down my spine. The story was, imo, very interesting especially in one particular scene where things are explained. But best of all, the characters are wonderfully written so that we like them and care about them and don't want the bad things to happen to them.
7. Terbaik dari Langit: this a local movie that I just fell in love with. Internationally, it's known as Nova. The plot is about a group of old schoolmates who meet up because one of them wants to film an actual UFO and make an alien movie. This plot is just a placeholder for a story of friendship. A lot of drama happens between them and the character work here is magnificent.
8. John Wick franchise: As far as combat action movies go, no other movie can touch this franchise. Keanu is at the top of his game and it is glorious. Loud, violent and frenetic, the action is inventive and impeccably executed. The story was emotional in the first one but does become "here's a reason for John Wick to kill people" and nothing more. Not complaining though because it's just enough for me. The story/plot work for me in the second and third movies because it is tied to lore-related things like the whole blood pact thing and killing in the continental. The lore is what separates these movies from the rest because it is very cool and unique.
9. Mission Impossible Fallout: I love the whole franchise (except for 2 kinda) but Fallout is just insane. Tom Cruise and the team were hell bent on making the best and biggest action movie ever made and I think they succeeded with flying colours. The movie isn't only fantastic as an action movie, but also a spy movie! The plot, the twists, the surprises were so fun to watch. But what holds the movie together was the characters who I've been watching for years. I care for them and when they got in trouble I got legitimately scared. The story was also strong which I felt most people don't talk about because it is overshadowed by the insane action.
10. ALL THE STAR WARS MOVIES!!!: AHHH I CAN'T EVEN WITH STAR WARS. SW was my childhood and I still love to this day. There's so much to love. Amazing lore, cool characters, cool action, powerful stories, awesome visuals, fantastic music, fun humor, great emotions, and the list goes on. I love love love love love loveeeee Star Wars. Star Wars is the one thing I can pinpoint in my life that jumpstarted my imagination as a kid. It showed my little boy brain that the human mind is capable of expansive imagination and creativity. That is why I love Star Wars so much. And also the pew pew laser beams.
My reasoning isn't super wordy. I am a simple Ayu. Hope that's okay o:
The Emperor's New Groove: Memes, memes everywhere.
Wreck-it-Ralph: Video games have been a super huge part of my childhood (as well as teenagehood and even adulthood really) and I love all the little cameos I could reference. Also, the whole Sugar Rush world is totally adorable.
Night at the Museum 2: Partially because Oscar the Grouch (or rather, Sesame Street) was also a major part of my childhood. I love the humour in these movies in general! Kahmunrah was also a top notch villain, and of course Larry kills it with the witty comebacks X)
The Avengers: Endgame: I love crossovers, what can I say?
The Greatest Showman: I also love musicals... AND circuses!